In addition to our award winning software applications, ISTI specializes in sponsored research and
development in a number of cutting edge areas. These areas include:
- Planning & Decision Support: includes alternative enterprise representations,
creation of enterprise knowledge assets and zero latency strategies for distributed organizations.
- E-learning & Performance Support: includes the full life cycle support of an adaptive
instructional system in a web-based, distance learning environment, and can include the use of
pedagogical, agent-based tutors with human personas (avatars).
- Systems Engineering: includes integrated product-process development, Six Sigma, ANSI/EIZ-632,
process tailoring, systems engineering, knowledge assets creation, and CMMI metrics incorporation.
- Enterprise Ontologies: support: a) integrated planning, execution, and control of complex
enterprises; b) what-if analyses; and c) virtual enterprise integration.
- Complex Systems Engineering Approaches: includes integrated product-process development,
virtual prototyping, modeling and simulation, and systems engineering process standards.
- Intelligent Agent Technology: includes intelligent pedagogical agents (i.e., surrogate instructor)
for education and training, execution monitoring agents and sentinels in command
and control, and cooperating agents in distributed enterprise management.
- Intelligent Process Management: focuses on techniques for adaptive workflow, collaborative
planning, interleaved planning and execution, and decision support for command and control.
- Web-based Adaptive Instruction: includes web-based distance learning and adaptive instruction
solutions based on instructional ontology, knowledge management, and pedagogical strategies. This solution
overcomes problems associated with student access to flexible learning, instructor shortage, development
and maintenance costs, and unworkable development schedules.
- Zero Latency Enterprise Strategies: slash time between the occurrence of an event in one
organizational unit of a distributed enterprise and total awareness of that event in all other organizational
units of that enterprise.
- Formal Process Representations: support evaluation of end state reachability, process flow cycle
times, deadlocks, livelocks, and resource bottlenecks and can be embedded in a system to make it "process aware."
- Symbolic Control of Complex Enterprises: includes the criteria and methods for analyzing observability,
controllability, stability, agility, and performance of symbolic control systems under nominal and contingency
situations (e.g., time delays, temporary resource unavailability, loss of plant state information).